Camera Calibration Toolbox for Matlab
A few links related to camera calibration
- A Camera
Calibration Toolbox from the Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics,
Germany - DLR CalDe and DLR CalLab is a very complete tool for camera calibration (including
corner extraction). The tool just became freely
available for download (for non-commercial purposes only). Authors: Klaus Strobl, Wolfgang Sepp, Stefan Fuchs, Cristian Paredes and Klaus Arbter from the Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics.
- A fully automatic camera and hand eye calibration developed by Christian Wengert from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETHZ). This is two add-ons for this camera calibration toolbox for Matlab. The first part covers a fully automatic calibration procedure and the second covers the calibration of the camera to a robot-arm or an external marker (known as Hand-Eye claibration). The author provides a complete documentation.
- A Standalone camera calibration application developed by Danail Stoyanov from the Royal Society/Wolfson Foundation Medical Image Computing Laboratory, Imperial College London, United Kingdom. This application was inspired by this Camera Calibration Toolbox for Matlab. It come with a very nice user interface, and is standalone! A great tool! Thank you Danial for this making this application available to the general community.
- Omnidirectional Camera Calibration Toolbox for Matlab - A complete toolbox for calibrating omnidirectional cameras. The author Davide Scaramuzza is at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland.
- Omnidirectional Calibration Toolbox Extension - A great extension toolbox for calibrating omnidirectional cameras. The author Christopher Mei wrote a very complete documentation, with examples. It also contain C programs for undistorting images, and reading the results of calibration. It is a wonderful addition to this Camera Calibration Toolbox. Check it out!
- OpenCV and MatLab Camera Calibration Toolboxes Enhancement - A set of matlab and C code that adds an automatic
corner detection to the Matlab Calibration Toolbox. The author, Vladimir Vezhnevets, also offers new enhancements to the OpenCV version of the calibration tool (a more robust corner detection). A complete C++ standalone application may also be found at this location. It is a remarkable tool.
- Camera calibration
toolbox on matlab from the University of Oulu, Finland (Janne Heikkilä
and Olli Silven) - A reference in camera
calibration. Unfortunately, the code does not include corner
extraction. We used their intrinsic camera model in that present
- A Flexible
New Technique for Camera Calibration - Zhengyou Zhang - Microsoft
Research - Great work on calibration. A must see. Our
toolbox has been greatly inspired from this work. The software is
available online, however, it does not include corner extraction.
Camera Calibration Software - A classic! Everyone interested in
camera calibration should know about that link. No image corner extraction
- Reg Willson's Home Page at
CMU - A reference page on zoom lens modeling, calibration... Also
links to Tsai
code that he is maintaining. A very useful link to keep.
calibration toolbox for matlab from Hynek Bakstein and Radim Halir
- A quite good camera calibration toolbox for matlab. Unfortunately,
the code does not include image corner extraction. This page also
contains the thesis of Hynek Bakstein on Camera Calibration.
- tclcalib - A tool for camera calibration - A collection of tools all wrapped up together in order to make internal camera calibration easy. Heikkila's internal camera model is the one used in this toolbox. Written by James Davies at Stanford.
Multi-Camera Self-Calibration Toolbox - This is a complete
Matlab toolbox for calibrating multiple cameras. This toolbox is
freely available for non-commercial use, and includes our Camera
Calibration Toolbox. The author of this very nice tool is Tomas Svoboda
from the Center for Machine Perception of the Czech Technical University.
A toolbox for calibrating clusters of cameras - This is a
complete Matlab and C toolbox for calibrating a large cluster of
cameras without the need to click on multiple images. This
toolbox is freely available for non-commercial use, and includes
our Camera Calibration Toolbox. The authors of this tool are Joao
P. Barreto, Kostas Daniilidis, Nikhil Kelshikar, Rana Molana and
Xenophon Zabulis from the Computer and
Information Science Department of the University of Pennsylvania.
- The Optical
Metrology Centre - Among other things, this company based in
the UK offers camera
calibration sevices and sells a complete camera
calibration software. I recommend reading the software
brochure and the technical
brief where useful information about camera calibration may
be found. In addition, a large body of technical
publications may also be found on their web site. This
company is also mentioned on the reference
A complete Calibration Toolkit with additional Computional Vision
tools - A great camera calibration software (with complete
documentation) for Linux that allows calibrating of single
cameras, and stereo systems. This software also contains various
other computational vision tools such as stereo matching, and 3D
shape computation. Written by Matthieu Personnaz at INRIA.
algorithm for automatic corner extraction - This page
describes an algorithm by Abramo Barbaresi to
automatically detect the complete set of corners in a
checkerboard image. This tool is useful for automatizing the
overall calibration procedure.
- Gideon P. Stein's
Personal Page at MIT (AI Lab) - Very good work on 3D
reconstruction and calibration by Gideon Stein. A very good overview of lens
distortion models. A good link to keep.
- Rapport de mesure de distorsion geometrique des cameras CIVA-P QM [585Kb PDF, in French], by Nicolas Charvin and Alain Soufflot from the Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale. This report is a exhaustive analysis of geometrique distortions of a stereo camera system. The authors used the toolbox to run the analysis. An excellent report.
Method to Solve Interior and Exterior Camera Calibration Parameters
for Image Resection - A project done at NASA on iterative method
for calibration. Observe that the camera model used in that report is
identical to ours, and the iterative method is also identical (based
on Newton-Raphson). An interesting report.
software (Sylvain Bougnoux) - Very powerful semi-automatic camera
calibration tool based on image point correspondence (also known as
self-calibration) - Designed at INRIA. Unfortunately, the software is
not freely available (or so it seems).
- Links to the
DLT method for calibration - A good source of information about
the DLT method for camera calibration.
Vision Toolbox for matlab - A large collection of matlab routines
for machine vision applications, including camera calibration. I have
not tried this toolbox.
Calibration Without Feature Extraction (Luc Robert) - Very
interesting research on camera calibration.
System Models, Calibration and Parameter Estimation - A major
reference on calibration, and computer vision in general. Visit the
page as well.
Feature Point Extraction for Light Field Camera Calibration - Project
Report - Bennett Wilburn - Stanford - An interesting project on
calibration. Take a look.
Camera Lens Calibration from Partially known structure - A project
done at the MIT media labs that uses the same camera model as we are
to undistort images.
Sciences Inc. (KSI) - Opti-CAL camera calibration package - A
complete camera calibration package for Machintosh. Not free!
- MVTec HALCON - The Software
Solution for Machine Vision Applications - A machine vision
package providing a number of tools, including camera calibration. Not
- MATLAB Functions for Computer Vision and Image Analysis - A very useful collection of great computer vision and image processing function in matlab by Prof. Peter Kovesi from the University of Western Australia.
- Very useful set of links on Computer Vision and Machine Learning - This page is maintained by Cristian Dima from CMU.
I try to keep updating this page regularly, as I discover new interesting pages related to the topic of camera calibration. However, the web is large and dynamic, and I rely on elementary search engines to find new links. Therefore, I encourage you to directly contribute with your (or someone else's) link by sending me an email at . Thank you.
Back to main calibration page